To support progressive candidates in pivotal races who represent the interests of communities of color, and who inspire participation in government for the benefit of all Americans.
The purposes of AOF are threefold:
1. To support progressive candidates for federal and state-wide office who are in pivotal races and who are supportive of the needs and issues of communities of color.
2. To increase voter turnout among communities of color for candidates endorsed by AOF.
3. To identify and promote emerging leaders within communities of color as potential candidates for statewide and federal elected offices.
- Supporting Progressive Candidates – endorsing and supporting candidates through fundraising, field, and/or media efforts.
- Candidate & Campaign Trainings – recruiting and training the next generation of political leaders.
- Education & Outreach – hosting periodic panels, discussions and other events to educate the public about the political process and the leaders who guide it.
- Communications – educating the public about our endorsed candidates, news in the progressive political community, and AOF programming.
The success of this nation of diverse people is not determined by its diversity alone but by its determination to overcome our differences and involve others. This is why America’s Opportunity Fund was created. Wherever we, as a people, have been so moved as to elect representatives to our government that end in diversifying our representation, whenever we have reached out to people different than ourselves; we have discovered opportunity -- not only for the ethnic heritage of that elected official, but for us all.
Margaret Mead once said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. In fact, that’s the only way it has ever been done.“ America’s Opportunity Fund (AOF) is dedicated to these small groups, the underrepresented -- in the interest of inspiring, funding and electing our nation’s new thoughtful, committed citizens to office.